Sunday, May 25, 2014

75. Buy a new couch

101 things in 1001 days

This is the story of my $20 couch. It was the first thing I bought for my first apartment and the first thing I ever bought off of Craigslist. 

101 things in 1001 days

I got it the summer before my second year of college. My friends and I were leaving the dorms and moving into an apartment. Big step into adulthood. Most of the apartment was hand me downs from our parents, but we needed to get a couch. I found this awesome gem on Craigslist and it was only 10 minutes north of San Luis Obsipo. So here started the tradition of finding a guy with a truck and paying him with food and beer.


101 things in 1001 days

Every year we moved the couch from the apartment, to the local storage unit for the summer. And this couch was HEAVY! It was solid and took falls like a champ (which you will see in a minute).

And as you can see, this couch wasn’t the prettiest thing you have ever seen. We tried to be classy and cover it with some black fabric from the LA Fashion District and cute pillows. Looking back it was not classy.


101 things in 1001 days

But the best thing about this couch was it was the comfiest couch to sleep on! Our friend crashed at our place on this couch for over a week during our sophomore year of college and we all had our share of great naps on this couch.

101 things in 1001 days

After graduation, Ryan and I moved the couch to the Bay Area. Everyone told us we needed to get rid of it, but we had a small issue with our cats. You see, when Ryan first got the cats he had a crappy leather couch and let them scratch it. But once you let them scratch one couch, they scratch all couches.

101 things in 1001 days


It got so bad that I had to sew old sheets onto the two worst spots to prevent them from eating the couch foam.


101 things in 1001 days101 things in 1001 days

We finally had enough of adjusting the fabric everyday and resewing the holes. We decided to get an Ikea couch because it was the most affordable and if the cats did scratch it, we could buy a new cover. 


101 things in 1001 days

But somehow, they finally discovered the scratching wave that we got them over a year ago and love scratching that, rather than just using it for naps.


101 things in 1001 days101 things in 1001 days

101 things in 1001 days

101 things in 1001 days

We love our new couch! We can’t believe that it took us this long to buy a new one.

101 things in 1001 days

101 things in 1001 days

101 things in 1001 days

101 things in 1001 days


Date Completed: January 25, 2014 [ yes, my I published my list on February 17, but I am going to give myself this one because I started creating my list on August 5, 2013 and this was a major accomplishment for me. I'll do an extra one to make up for it ;-) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment