Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chinese Dumplings



At the same time that I was moving to San Mateo, my grandparents were moving from their house to senior living. By downsizing they weren't able to keep some of their kitchen stuff, so I willingly took it. Since I got the wok, I also got the Sunset Wok Cookbook. It was rubberbanded together with Los Angeles Times recipes falling out of it. Surprisingly, one of those recipes was the fried rice recipe that I grew up with. This inspired me to create a whole Asian feast last week (I’ll make it again so that I can blog it).

I had leftover Chinese sausage and won ton wrappers and decided to do a little spin on the dumplings that I had made previously to use up the Chinese sausage.

The original recipe was for pork and shrimp dumplings, but I just did ground pork and minced Chinese sausages this time.

Combine all of the ingredients.


Let sit for about an hour.  Scoop a small spoonful onto the wrapper. 


Fold up and steam for 10-12 minutes.


Serve warm with the soy dipping sauce.


CHINESE SAUSAGE AND PORK DUMPLINGS - Makes about 20 dumplings

Ingredients:
Filling:
¼ pound ground pork
3 Chinese sausages, cut in small dice
1 baby bok choy, cut in small dice
1 ½ tablespoons minced ginger root
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg white
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Won ton wrappers
Soy Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)

Directions:
Combine all of the filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix lightly but well. Let stand 1 hour before using.

With a spoon, place about a tablespoon of filling in center of won ton wrapper. Gather sides securely around filling, leaving top open. Place in single layer on steamer rack. Cover and steam over boiling water 10 to 12 minutes (time will depend on how much filling you put in and how hard of a boil is in the pot. Filling should be 155 degrees F). Serve hot with Soy Dipping Sauce.

SOY DIPPING SAUCE
Ingredients:
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1½  teaspoons minced ginger root
1½  teaspoons minced chives

Directions:
Combine all ingredients and let flavors meld in the fridge.

This is also a perfect appetizer for Ants in Trees

No comments:

Post a Comment